Colitis Questions to Ask
Being diagnosed with ulcerative colitis may fill you with questions and concerns. Ulcerative colitis can affect many aspects of your life and these effects can change overtime.
The best way to prepare for your life with ulcerative colitis is to learn all that you can about your disease and begin a dialogue with your doctor.
The better informed you are, the more equipped you'll be to work with your doctor and other healthcare providers to manage your disease and lead the life you want to live.
In discussing your new diagnoses with your doctor, be sure to ask questions like these:
Understanding Your Condition
- What is ulcerative colitis?
- What causes colitis?
- What type of colitis do I have?
- What are the signs and symptoms of colitis?
- What can I do to monitor my condition?
- How will I know if I’m having a flare up?
- How will I know if my colitis is in remission?
Effects on Lifestyle
- How will colitis affect my ability to work, travel, and exercise?
- Should I modify my diet? If so, how?
- How will ulcerative colitis affect pregnancy?
- How will other people react to my illness?
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks and benefits of different treatment options?
- If I am prescribed medication, what kind of side effects should I expect?
- Will I require surgery? If so, what does that entail?
- What other treatments are available?
Managing Your Disease
- Can I prevent flare-ups of colitis?
- When should I see a doctor?
- What can I do at home to treat symptoms?
You and your doctor are partners in your health. By establishing a productive relationship with your doctor, you will gain a better understanding of your condition and how to best manage it. If you’re looking for a doctor to help you conquer Ulcerative Colitis, you can Find a Doctor through our online resources.