OR - Portland Support Group
Meets: Third Thursday, Monthly, 7:00 PM
Meets the third Thursday of every month, 7:00-8:30 PM at OHSU's Center for Health & Healing, 3rd Floor - Room #5, 3303 SW Bond Ave, Portland. Note: This is OHSU's new facility at the South Waterfront, not up on the hill. If you'll be attending this group for the first time, please contact Mark to confirm meeting details.
Street parking is free after 6:50 PM, or there is a convenient parking garage available at the facility for a flat fee of $3 (after 6:00 PM). Questions? Contact facilitator Mark Mac: email@example.com or 512-264-5922.
Save the date for the our 3rd outdoor meeting! June 16th, from 6-7:30 pm, we'll meet at the bocce ball court just south of the Center for Health and Healing. This is a chance to chat with your fellow group members in a more informal setting in the park outside CCFA. We'll have yard games like bocce ball, corn hole and frisbee. If you have a fun yard game you like to play, bring it along (anybody still hackey sack?). There's a farmer's market that goes till 7 so people can grab a bite to eat if they wish, or feel free to bring something to munch on from home.
If you haven't registered for the 2016 Take Steps Walk, now is a good time to create your team and start gathering your team members. Join us May 15 at Oaks Amusement Park! It's a really fun event with food, music, and is a great way to show your support for the community. Find more information here. Kristen Baxter is our Take Steps Manager for the NW region and has done a great job the last two years throwing a great event. She can't do it alone! She's always looking for volunteers to help with the planning process as well as on the day of the event. If you're interested, please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org
| Connect with this community anytime on Facebook here!
Ask a question, post a link to your favorite recipe, or share an article on IBD. This is a great way to communicate with others going through the same things between meetings or if you can't get to meetings regularly.
Upcoming guest speakers:
May: Sadie Kane - Essential Oils for supporting health
July: Sheila Resari - benefits of massage and self massage tutorial
September: Lila Ojeda - Local nutrition/personal trainer guru on life balance
November: Todd Wilson - Gentle yoga for staying active
Thank you to speakers at past meetings:
- March 2016: Ben Efran, a health insurance broker in Portland
- November 2015: Tal Cohen, licensed acupuncturist - Diet & nutrition
- September 2015: Ami Kapadia, MD - Diet, food triggers, supplements
- May 2015 Meeting: Dr. Tal Cohen, speaking about nutritional supplements and functional medicine for Crohn's and colitis
- March 2015: Liana Tsikitis, MD - Surgery
- February 2015: Melissa Soll, PhD - Mental Health
- January 2015: Charles Elder, MD, MPH, FACP - Complementary & Alternative Medicine
- November 2014: Melissa Soll, PhD - Mental Health
- May 2014: Bill Thome, Accredited Disability Representative
- April 2014: Dr. Helene Wahbeh from OHSU
- March 2014: Brad Wipfli, PhD from OHSU
- November 2013: Richard Haynes - Ayurvedic medicine
- September 2013: Jane Conboy - Hypnotherapy
- May 2013: Susan Yoder, RN, BSN
- March 2013: Liana Tsikitis, MD - Surgery
- January 2013: Tom Ohling, "Nutrition Magician"
Helpful Tips from Group Members - July 2014:
- Heat therapy
- Heating pad
- microwaveable heat wrap
- hot water bottle with castor oil
- warm bath
- Imagine delays in getting to the bathroom (to decrease urgency)
- Carry an extra set of clothes with you
- “emergency bag”
- for long drives: keep a shallow tub lined with a plastic bag in your car just in case you need to go at the side of the road and have a towel for privacy
- Variety puzzles/IPad/book in the bathroom to distract from pain
- Use peri bottle with warm water after using the bathroom
- or a bidet attachment for your toilet
- Take a walk during the day to clear your head and manage stress
- Bring your own food to social gatherings
- Be open with friends and family about IBD