CCFA Support Group: Portland, OR
OHSU's Center for Health & Healing
Meets: Third Thursday, Monthly, 7:00 PM
Meets the third Thursday of every month, 7:00 PM at OHSU's Center for Health & Healing, 3rd Floor - Room #5, 3303 SW Bond Ave, Portland. Note: This is OHSU's new facility at the South Waterfront, not up on the hill. If you'll be attending this group for the first time, please contact Mark to confirm meeting details.
Street parking is free after 7:00 PM, or there is a convenient parking garage available at the facility for a flat fee of $3 (after 6:00 PM). Questions? Contact facilitator Mark Mac: email@example.com or 512-264-5922.
For the October and November meetings, we will combine with the pediatric IBD support group for families, then split into separate discussion groups.
Heat therapyHelpful Tips from Group Members - July 2014:
- Heating pad
- microwaveable heat wrap
- hot water bottle with castor oil
- warm bath
- Imagine delays in getting to the bathroom (to decrease urgency)
- Carry an extra set of clothes with you
- “emergency bag”
- for long drives: keep a shallow tub lined with a plastic bag in your car just in case you need to go at the side of the road and have a towel for privacy
- Variety puzzles/IPad/book in the bathroom to distract from pain
- Use peri bottle with warm water after using the bathroom
- or a bidet attachment for your toilet
- Take a walk during the day to clear your head and manage stress
- Bring your own food to social gatherings
- Be open with friends and family about IBD
Thank you to speakers at past meetings:
- May 2014: Bill Thome, Accredited Disability Representative
- April 2014: Dr. Helene Wahbeh from OHSU
- March 2014: Brad Wipfli, PhD from OHSU
- November 2013: Richard Haynes, discussing ayurvedic medicine
- September 2013: Jane Conboy, discussing hypnotherapy
- May 2013: Susan Yoder, RN, BSN
- March 2013: Liana Tsikitis, MD
- January 2013: Tom Ohling, "Nutrition Magician"